Number of People with Nothing Better to Do

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Peace Corps Weight Loss Program

I’ve been getting a lot of comments lately on how I look like I’ve lost a lot of weight. I have lost a lot of weight but I was kind of fattening up before I left eating pizza, burritos, McDonalds and whatever else I didn’t think I would be able to get here. That and I drank a lot of beer with the folks I wasn’t going to see for a while. I was probably 235 - 240 when I left but that was kind of an inflated figure (so to speak). My normal weight before was about 220-225.

Since I’ve been in Peru, I’ve lost about 50 pounds (I'm at 190 now), much of it muscle weight. This is in spite of eating a ton of carbohydrates – rice and potatoes nearly every meal. The reason I think I’ve lost so much weight is because I haven’t been working out on a consistent basis, I don’t eat near the amount of protein I did in the US and the overall stress of adjusting to new food and a new life style has done a number on my appetite. Since I’ve been at site, I haven’t been eating as well as I should just because I don’t feel like eating a big meal when it’s hot (and it’s always hot) or my stomach has been jacked up.

But don’t worry Mom. I’ve adjusted to the food and way of life, I’m adjusting to the heat, I’ve been working out again and my digestive system is back to normal. My appetite is back in full force so I expect I’ll be putting some weight back on. Also, the mall in my capital city just opened up a Pizza Hut, KFC and what appears to be a Mexican restaurant with enchiladas so I hope to bulk up a bit.

I’d buy that weight gainer shit that I used in high school but it didn’t work then and I doubt it’ll work now.

No comments:

Post a Comment