Number of People with Nothing Better to Do

Monday, January 4, 2010

Christmas Day


My host family here spends Christmas mourning the death of a son they lost several years ago by spending the day in bed and not doing much. Being in a somewhat delicate emotional state, I couldn’t spend my Christmas that way so I headed to Lima for the night. A good friend of mine from Chicago, Chris Albu, gave me a sweet gift – a free night at a nice hotel. I spent the day hanging with a friend, sleeping in a comfortable bed, taking multiple hot showers, and watching the occasional paraglider slip pass my window that overlooked the Pacific Ocean.

Although I wasn’t in Texas enjoying a white Christmas (the first since the 1920’s) with my family, it will certainly be one of my more memorable Christmases, albeit not very Peace Corps.
Thanks Chris – you’re the best!

No comments:

Post a Comment